Summer garden DIY ideas from your local builders merchants
As builders merchants with an all-encompassing range of materials on offer, we see the demand for different products fluctuate throughout the year.
Summer is the ideal time for DIY enthusiasts to get out in the garden and enjoy the challenge of a project. Whether you're a competent DIY-er or a more tentative beginner, with a little inspiration from the experts at your local builders merchants, you can get involved and enjoy your garden this summer.
Build a rustic barbecue: advice from your local builders merchants
You can't beat a summer grill-out - here's our advice on building a rustic brick barbecue:
- Using your cooking tray as a guide, lay out the first level of bricks
- On the levelled site, spread the first layer of mortar and then set the first course of brick
- Build up the extra courses of bricks with staggered joints - keep checking that everything is level. Walls should be 7 courses high. Turn the bricks inwards to create a ledge for the charcoal tray
- Build another 3 courses and then add a ledge to support the grill tray. You finish off with a layer of shaped coping blocks for a neat edge
Chandlers builders merchants have the materials to create a fantastic fire pit
Truly balmy summer evenings are a rare occurrence in the UK so, for a taste of glamping at home, why not build your very own fire pit! A fire pit is not only an attractive addition to your garden but it is also a practical feature – providing a cosy focal point around which to gather when entertaining al fresco.
With just a few landscaping materials from your local builders merchants you can create a simple yet stunning fire pit:
- Map out your fire pit at least 10 feet away from any buildings, trees, fences and other obstructions – use spray paint to mark out a circular fire pit area.
- Dig the circle to a depth of 6" deep
- Pour gravel into the excavated circle until it is level with the surrounding ground - this provides essential drainage
- Place your first ring of concrete/non-combustible stones around the edge of the gravel circle and use a rubber mallet and spirit level to tap the stones flat and even with each other. Make sure the joints are tight
When you're ready to add the second layer of stones, place some masonry adhesive and stagger them on top of the bottom layer (so that the middle of the stone sits on the end of the stone below). This creates more strength in the structure. Repeat with a third and possibly fourth layer.
The friendly team at your local builders merchants will be able to advise you of the best products for the purpose and relative quantities.
Chandlers builders merchants: for all your building and landscaping supplies
Whether your requirement is for soft or hard landscaping materials, you can rely on Chandlers builders merchants to have just the product. As well as offering an array of landscaping products and building materials we also provide a broad range of plumbing and heating products, in addition to roofing supplies, joinery materials and sustainable building solutions.
At Chandlers we also supply fitted kitchens from our Chertsey branch, and have a comprehensive bathroom showroom at our Lewes branch - both offer an expert design service.
As a builders merchants established for over 20 years, our customer base extends from construction companies and skilled tradespersons through to homeowners and DIY enthusiasts undertaking their own projects. Our experienced team is always ready to help our customers with advice on any project - call into your nearest branch for assistance.