A building supplies company can help you to find the right tradesperson
Finding a reliable and trustworthy tradesperson to carry out your home improvement job (however large or small) frequently provides homeowners with a challenge. The job may require your tradesperson to spend a lot of time in your home, so finding someone you feel comfortable around is essential. Finding someone who you can trust to do the job properly, who sources quality building supplies, keeps to the budget and completes the work within the agreed timeframe can feel like a very tall order.
Unfortunately there are a few out there who are keen to part you from your cash without meeting their side of the bargain, so how do you go about finding the right person for your job?
Ask your local building supplies company
An established building supplies company will know their local trade customers very well. Relationships will have been established over time and your building supplies company will know who has a professional reputation (or not).
This doesn't mean that newly established, bona fide tradespersons shouldn't be approached for your quote. Reputable tradespersons will be frequent customers of the building supplies company so do tap into this valuable network; be sure to ask for names and the type of work that they carry out. You'll find that recommending reputable and efficient tradespersons is just one of the ways in which a building supplies company is happy to help.
What checks should you make once your building supplies company has made some recommendations?
- Ask the tradespersons you select for references from previous customers. A qualified tradesperson will be happy to supply them and it may be possible for you to see some completed projects
- Ask the referees about the quality of the work carried out as well as issues such as reliability, timekeeping and clearing up at the end of each day. These may seem small issues in the whole picture, but attention to detail is important
- Obtain three written quotes, ensuring that each tradesperson has an office address with a landline number (not just a mobile)
- Establish their qualifications for the job they're quoting for. Is the electrician Part P certified, or is the boiler installer Gas Safe registered, for example
- Make sure you know what is and isn't included in the quote; have the building supplies been included, or are you expected to pay for these separately
- Do establish if the work is inclusive or exclusive of VAT and agree a schedule of payment
At Chandlers Building Supplies we have been established in the provision of building supplies for over 20 years, and help a range of customers from construction companies to individual tradespersons as well as homeowners undertaking their own DIY projects.
Our team is always ready to help our customers with advice on any project, be it sourcing the right building supplies for their job or helping to find the right tradesperson.
We are acknowledged specialists in civil engineering and roofing supplies as well as landscaping products and bricks. We also offer a comprehensive kitchen and bathroom design service.
Call in and meet our expert team at any of our branches: see our contact us [insert link] page for your nearest branch.