The best time of year to...
Here at Chandlers Building Supplies we offer an extensive range of materials for building, remodelling, home improvement, repairs and renovation projects, to both tradespeople and homeowners.
In this blog we provide advice on the best time of the year to carry out certain works, in order to help you plan for the next 12 months:
Spring time jobs for your home and garden
- Landscaping your garden
Make sure your garden is going to be blooming in time for summer entertainment by planting bulbs in the springtime. It's also a good time to check that decking or paving is all in order – this could simply involve power-washing or might require some additional maintenance or even repairs if there is any rot or other damage. If you're a competent DIY-er then you might even opt to procure some building supplies and create a firepit or barbecue.
- Clearing gutters of fallen leaves
Spring is a great time to perform a gutter inspection, clearing them of fallen leaves and checking to see whether any repairs are required. Keeping gutters clear helps prevent damage to your roof as well as the damp problems associated with over-filled gutters leaking down the side of your property.
- Take spring cleaning to the next level
Refresh your home's interior with a fresh coat of paint and an updated colour scheme – inexpensive yet very effective!
Building supplies for summertime jobs
- Paint or treat exterior surfaces
While the weather is warm and dry (as warm and dry as it ever gets in the UK!) paint or varnish any exterior woodwork or metalwork as well as sheds and fences.
Ideal autumn repairs and maintenance
- Get your home winter-ready
Early autumn is the perfect time to insulate your loft and check for drafts in preparation for battening down the hatches in winter.
- Waterproof windows and check guttering
Ahead of the wet, cold weather it is sensible to ensure that roofs, windows and doors are waterproof and that guttering is, again, clear of leaves and moss.
- Boiler health
Check your boiler is in working order and ensure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in full working order
- Clean chimneys
(If you have one) arrange for your chimney to be swept, ahead of cosy winter fires
Plan ahead for those indoor winter improvement projects
- Once the weather gets colder (and the frost and snow set in) hunker down and enjoy your home. You might even want to focus on planning internal home improvements for next year, such as extensions, bathroom remodelling, kitchen update projects or even making your home more eco-friendly.
Chandlers Building Supplies: for all your building and hardware needs
As an established builders merchants with branches across the South East of England, we have a comprehensive range of building and hardware materials for
- Construction, insulation and building supplies
- Internal finishing products
- Groundworks and landscaping supplies
- Kitchen design services (Chertsey branch)
- Bathroom design services (Lewes branch)
- Glass cut to size (Chertsey branch)
- Paint mixed to order (Chertsey & Lewes branches)
- Electrical goods (selected branches)
- Tools and hardware
- Porotherm's environmentally-friendly clay block system
- Sustainable building solutions – water, energy, green flat roofing and fabric
Visit your nearest Chandlers Building Supplies depot or call us today: