Top Tips for Paving
Paving slabs are a good way to refresh a garden or outside space, they're nice to look at, start at affordable prices and a simple patio can usually be laid in a couple of days by any competent DIYer. As with most things though, planning and preparation are key, so we've put together a few handy tips (for those of you who are not professionals!)
Top 10 TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Plan it out first – drawing out the scheme even at a basic level will help once you get started
- Always dry lay the patio first as this helps to make sure you have checked the measurements
- Create a good solid foundation and check the depths. As a guide, you'll be looking at a total patio depth of around 150mm, this is for both the slabs and their foundations. If you are laying your patio next to the house, then it's recommended that the surface of the paving should be 150mm below the damp proof course.
- Consider laying a textile to prevent weed growth
- Start laying the patio from the corner and work outwards
- Check the levels and fall frequently to make sure you stay on track
- Plan for drainage - To prevent water from pooling on a patio, lay the patio with a 1:60 fall, so the patio will drop 1cm per 60cm length, sloping away from the house.
- Spend time on the jointing - this prevents any potential movement, but still allows water to drain.
- Make sure the edge is tight to prevent movement
- Throughout the job be aware of health & safety – lift paving slabs with care and wear protective clothing such as gloves and goggles to prevent damage to the skin and eyes.
So if you are now feeling inspired we've got some good paving offers on right now.
Marshalls Arrento Paving Slabs: Our special price of £13.49 (+VAT) for a 595mm slab is fantastic deal & won't last long so call us now to place your order.
We have sourced these project packs at an incredibly low price so buy now while stocks last £17.99/m2 Project Pack price £245.56 (+VAT)